Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:57:42 -0500
From:      "Anthony L. Bryan" <albryan@comcast.net>
To:        "'Francois Petillon'" <ftpmaint@proxad.net>, <freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ISO downloads with multiple mirrors for higher reliabilty, automatic checksum verification

> Anthony L. Bryan wrote:
> > I've made Metalinks for a few FreeBSD ISOs:
> >=20
> http://www.metalinker.org/samples/FreeBSD_6_2-BETA3-amd64-boot
only_iso.metal
> > ink
>=20
> As these Metalinks are not officials, would it be possible to remove=20
> ftp.fr.freebsd.org from these files ? I do not want to support nor=20
> promote an "open standard" that encourage software to do parallel=20
> segmented downloads.

Of course, Fran=E7ois!
=20
> I have several problems with segmented downloads. As software open=20
> several connections (it may be several connections on a=20
> single server or=20
> single connections on several servers, the result is the=20
> same), servers=20
> will serve more connections and will have less memory usable per=20
> connection. As one of the biggest problem on servers is=20
> related to disks=20
> IO optimizations, less memory may lead to smaller block reads=20
> (and thus=20
> higher disk load). Even if the server has enough memory, as=20
> the file are=20
> requested by segments, you are disabling on the server the ability to=20
> fully optimize its disk requests. Last but not the least (and it does=20
> not concern bittorent downloads, only servers), if you do not=20
> download=20
> at max speed, it means there is a _real_ bottleneck. It may be on the=20
> server, it may be on the network but speeding up download by using=20
> segmented downloads will not create bandwidth, you will just steal=20
> bandwidth to other people.

While some people are using metalinks for segmented downloads, others =
are
not. Some people use them for the enhanced reliability of having extra =
links
to fall back on. I can not force download managers or metalink clients =
change how they have been behaving for years, but I can encourage them =
to be
respectful of server resources. Which is why I have been asking for
suggestions on how to improve things.

Can you think of some per transfer and per server options that would =
help
the situation?

Maybe something like for each transfer max connections and max servers =
and
for servers something like max connections and segment size?

(( Anthony Bryan
 )) Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]