Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:26:51 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

Brian writes:

> Well, if you expect people to read the code
> and really figure things out when you are
> just posting to a user group list your
> expectations are way too high.

That's just it ... there are no other options.  For someone using the system
personally as I am, in only a semi-production mode, this is tolerable, given
that the OS is free; but this problem makes it extremely hard to recommend
FreeBSD or other open-source solutions for real production use.  Posting to
a newsgroup or mailing list in the hope of getting some support on a
critical issue is just not acceptable for many applications.  At least with
commercial software, you have a hotline you can call (usually)--although it
is not widely known that the technical support groups of most software
companies are literally doing exactly the same thing you do when you post to
a newsgroup.  (I suppose that if this were common knowledge, people would be
more willing to consider open-source software--after all, if you're going to
get rotten support either way, why not go with free software instead of
software that costs money?)

> *You* are more than welcome to read and fix
> the code, though.

I don't have any documentation that would allow me to do that.