Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 21:57:00 -0700
From:      Ryan <rd64pro@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   aoutlibs install problem

hello again,

a week or two back I complained about a netscape problem and how I couldn't get
it installed. Well, guess what! I'm still struggling with this thing. A few of
you replied back (thank you very much, by the way) and noted that my aoutlibs
weren't installed. That was correct, and unfortunately still is.

I've dumped the old Xbin.tgz and downloaded a new one into the
/usr/ports/distfiles directory. I'm good to go, so I decide to install now. I
change to /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-aoutlibs
make clean (fantastic!)
make (beautiful!)
make install NO_CHECKSUM=yes (damnit!)
and it blows chunks! Here it is:

===>  Installing for XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3
===>   XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3 depends on shared library: X11.6 - found
cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-aoutlibs/work/lib;  for l in $(ls lib*); do  /usr/bin/env OBJFORMAT=aout  install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 $l /usr/X11R6/lib/aout;
done
strip: /usr/X11R6/lib/aout: Inappropriate file type or format
*** Error code 70

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-aoutlibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-aoutlibs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-aoutlibs.

Again, I am learning quick, but I am still pretty new to the Unix/BSD world. I
would appreciate any advice anyone can provide. Thank you so much!
If I left out any important details, I apologize. If specific questions need to
be answered or additional information is needed, request it and I will get back
to you very quickly. Again, thanks.

Ryan