Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:09:57 -0500
From:      "AKellerhouse" <AKellerhouse@email.msn.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   newbie stuff 8P

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C03081.6B225360

Hi I hope your not to busy to help me with some very basic type =
questions. =20
    While on Napster I noticed someone uploading from me with a =
ridiculousy FAST transfer rate. I asked him what his secret was and he =
explained he had messed with his tcp/ip buffer size and that he ran his =
cable modem through Free.BSD. He recomended I download it. So here I am =
at the website.   =20
    I am not a computer beginner, but am definately not more than novice =
and am confused by what excactly I use FreeBSD for.  From what I gather =
here it is an operating system (such as Windows 9x). Will installing =
this remove my Windows 98, work with it, require me to manually boot =
into it, act like the DOS prompt within Windows, or what?
    Is it strictly for Internet transactions? I dunno.
    Should I, in my ignorance, not mess with it?
    Everthing I've read says FreeBSD is unbeatable for its =
price/stability/ease of use. I must be missing some very basic knowledge =
because I am lost.=20
    Sorry to bother you with such newbie type questions, but if you have =
the time, please, send me a clue!

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C03081.6B225360

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi I hope your not to busy to help me =
with some=20
very basic type questions.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; While on Napster I =
noticed=20
someone uploading from me with a ridiculousy FAST transfer rate. I asked =
him=20
what his secret was and he explained he had messed with his tcp/ip =
buffer size=20
and that he ran his cable modem through Free.BSD. He recomended I =
download it.=20
So here I am at the website.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am not a computer =
beginner,=20
but am definately not more than novice and am confused by what excactly =
I use=20
FreeBSD for.&nbsp; From what I gather here it is an operating system =
(such as=20
Windows 9x). Will installing this remove my Windows 98, work with it, =
require me=20
to manually boot into it, act like the DOS prompt within Windows, or=20
what?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is it strictly for =
Internet=20
transactions? I dunno.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Should I, in my =
ignorance, not=20
mess with it?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Everthing I've read =
says FreeBSD=20
is unbeatable for its price/stability/ease of use. I must be missing =
some very=20
basic knowledge because I am lost. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Sorry to bother you =
with such=20
newbie type questions, but if you have the time, please, send me a=20
clue!</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C03081.6B225360--