Date:      Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:11:02 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Erich,

> To the best of my recollection at the time there was no need
> whatsoever to configure these NICs into promiscuous mode, which in

you need this for fault-tolerant computing. A machine or a device with a
known goes down, the failure will be detected and another device or machine
is configured to take over the other's task by also taking over the other's
MAC address. The communication partners will only a delay but not a failure.

JKi: I'm curious, would, in your experience, the impact of any delay
incurred by tinkering with addresses at both layer-3 AND layer-2 in a
failover situation be less in comparison to any delay incurred when
tinkering with the addresses at layer-3 ONLY and leave the recovery of
addressing issues at layer-2 to the relevant protocols?

Jk.