Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2006 02:26:35 +0200
From:      "Jean-Marc Lienher" <jml@oksidizer.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Alternative compiler toolchain ?

Hi all,

I'm new to FreeBSD, I was using Linux since 1997.
But I decided to switch to the Daemon and leave the Penguin on
his Iceberg.
(Yes, for those who are reading the hidden e-mail headers,
I'm also using MS-Windows :-)

After a (too?) quick look at the FreeBSD source code, I've seen that
the GNU compiler toolchain was used to compile the kernel and other
part of the OS.

I would like to know if there is another compiler toolchain
(C compiler, assembler and linker) which is able to build the i386
FreeBSD and which is released under the BSD, MIT or any other
non-viral license ?

I've found some other compilers on the web:
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/  (LGPL)
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/ (Free for personal use)
http://tack.sourceforge.net/ (BSD)

The last one, ACK (the Minix compiler), is released under a
good license. Does somebody have ever tried to compile FreeBSD
with it ?

Thanks,
 Jean-Marc Lienher

 | oKsiDiZer Software & Electronic |