Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:32:17 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Slim" <jallen@aviating.com>, "Kevin Golding" <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "Dan Look" <dan@electriccheese.com>, <ITServices@cableinet.co.uk>, "Conrad Sabatier" <conrads@home.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, <joel2a@yahoo.com>
Subject:   RE: Microsoft bashers

I agree that there isn't anyting to be gained by bashing someone who
contributed to the buildup of the computer buisiness.

However, there is definitely something to be gained by bashing someone who is
attempting to subvert the entire computer industry for their own ends.

There was a line that Microsoft crossed some time ago when they ceased
_contributing_ to the industry, and started _manipulating_ it for their own
benefit.  At that time they became fair game for bashing.  In Microsoft's
case it is an instance of absolute power corrupting absolutely.  I fault them
because many, many other people throught history have been in the same
position and have NOT taken advantage of it.

Bill Gates and Microsoft could have used their preeminiment position to
nurture and assist everyone else, and we all would have benefited far more.
Would they have gotten as big as they are and made as many billions of dollars
as they did?  Probably not - but they still would have been the largest
software ISV in the world and still been in control of Windows.  Instead they
have chosen to have the attitude that only their opinion matters and that
everyone else is fucked in the head.

You forget that Microsoft has been ruled an illegal monopoly.  This is not
Grandma's Cookies we are talking about here.  This is an organization that is
out of control and is deliberately breaking the law.  They could have chosen
to self-divest, many other companies in the same position did.  Even AT&T when
ruled an illegal monopoly chosed to follow the law instead of fighting it.
But Bill is going to fight _everyone_ who disagrees with his point of view
that Microsoft is the greatest thing since sliced bread, to the bitter end,
and no matter what it does to his company.  Eventually, the courts are going
to get tired of this idiot with a head of solid bone who isn't willing to
follow the law and they are going to react and Microsoft is going to be far
worse off than if they had gracefully accepted the ruling and worked things
out.  That's reality, no the rosy mythology that you have constructed.