Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:10:42 +0200
From:      "Felipe Lopez Lopez" <FELSYS@santandersupernet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PANIC: cannot mount root

Hi, I am Felipe from Spain.

I have FreeBSD, release 2.2.5 ( 4 CDROM), Tue Oct 21 but it panics when I
boot after the install process. I get "PANIC: cannot mount root".

I have a AMD K6 200 MHz, 32 MB RAM, CDROM 16x, Sound Blaster 16 and 2 hard
disks (3 MB and 1.2 MB respectively). My BIOS is Award Modular BIOS w4.51PG

When my computer boots, I can read:

HDD Primary Master - QUANTUM FIREWALL ST 3.2A
HDD Primary Slave Master - None
HDD Secondary Master - Seagate Technology
HDD Secondary Master Slave - CRD 8160 B

In the first disk I have two DOS partitions (C and D) with Windows95
installed in C.

When I choose booting from the second hard disk (Seagate) where FreeBSD has
been installed:
.
.
.
FreeBSD 2.2.5 Tue Oct 21 ...
.
.
.
boot:
.
(if I type any command at this point, the system does not recognize them,
for example -v, and it loops for ever till I reset the computer).
.
.
.
wdc0:unit0(wd0) <QUANTUM FIREWALL ST3.2A>
wd0: 3079 MB
.
.
.
wdc1: unit0(wd2) <Seagate Technology ... >
wd2: 1221 MB
.
.
.
wdc1: unit1(atapi) <CRD-8160 B /1.07>
.
.
.
changing root device to wd1a
PANIC: cannot mount root

I should tell you that in the install process I choose the second disk
(wd2 - Seagate) to install FreeBSD with this distribution:

Disk name: wd2
Disk Geometry: 620 cyls/64 heads/63 sectors = 2499840 sectors

offset       size           end         Name       Ptype      Desc
Subtype    Flags

0                63            62          -------        6
unused        0
63        2499777    2499839      wd2s1      3            freebsd     165
CA
2499840   2016      2501855     -------        6            unused        0

Another screen:

Part            Mount               Size

wd2s1a          /                    40 MB
wd2s1b       swap                128 MB SWAP
wd2s1e       /var                  40 MB
wd2s1f        /usr                    1012 MB

I choose to have MBR in both disks  (wd0 and wd2)

The installation goes OK and when I try to boot I get the message of PANIC.

Could you help me somehow ?

I have another doubt: when I am setting a new user in the install process,
the system does not recognize bash as shell, only bin/csh (or something like
that), why?

I look forward hearing from you.