Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:06:30 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Rasputin" <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Releases

> * Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com> [010409 14:59]:
> > +--- James Raftery wrote:
> > | Argh! RELENG_4 is *always* 4-STABLE. An RC is a particularly "stable"
> > | phase of 4-STABLE development because it's subject to a code-freeze
and
> > | is about to become a -RELEASE.
>
> > To be honest, FreeBSD's definition of BETA or RELEASE CANDIDATE is
> > contrary to common understanding of the terms.  BETA or RC implies new
> > code that is currently in the testing phase (well RC implies that it is
> > almost ready for release, but it still hasn't been proven as ready).
>
> How is that different for FreeBSD then?

The RC designation seems to be "normal".  The BETA designation does not.  Is
there any reason why we really need a -BETA tag, or could we just go
from -STABLE to -RC1?  I think this would be less confusing to people who
are new to FreeBSD's scheme of things.

[ On a related note, -CURRENT seems to suggest the wrong thing.  I've had
the unlucky experience of recovering production boxes (!!) that previous
admins had decided to update to -CURRENT because, hey, it must be the best
code, right?  IMHO, -CURRENT should be -DEV. That's a pretty clear
indication that it shouldn't be run on production boxes. ]

--
Matt Emmerton