Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 20:17:08 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Jordan DeLong" <fracture@allusion.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel area libmish stuff

> Well here's the story:  a few days ago my video card broke, so I'm without
> X and such, and using a spare 486 box on the freebsd console.  Out of lack
of
> other things to do, I did most of the porting of one of the screensavers
in the
> xscreensaver collection to the freebsd syscons.
>
> The problem I'm having now is I dunno the _right_ way to get the trig
functions
> from the userland libm in kernel space.  _is_ there a right way?  or can
it be
> statically linked into the screensaver module? (ouch)

There's probably a way to include *some* of the libm functions (from
/usr/src/lib/msun, since /usr/src/lib/libm is deprecated).  However, this
would require a considerable amount of Makefile magic, and also require that
the msun code be present in order to do a complete build of the kernel with
modules.

I doubt that this requirement would make you many friends in -questions :)

> I was thinking of just getting a sintable array and making a few simple
> functions, so the whole of libm doesn't need to be statically linked into
the
> module (from my understanding, once loaded, this module wont ever get
paged out,
> and thus it'd be _bad_ for it to be big).

This is probably the best way to go, IMO.

--
Matt Emmerton