Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:57:37 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <data@dualcpus.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OpenBSD's FFS/dirpref/softupdates improvements

"Two aspects of the FFS filesystem in OpenBSD have received significant
improvements since 2.8, increasing performance dramatically. Thanks to art,
gluk, csapuntz, and a host of other developers and testers, Soft Updates are
now much more stable than ever before. The second improvement, contributed
by gluk@openbsd.org, is a new directory allocation policy (codenamed
"dirpref"). Coupled with soft updates, the new dirpref code offers up to a
60x speed increase in gluk's tests, documented here:"

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dirpref&num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=2&;
seld=905073910&ic=1

Does anyone know anything about this ?

> > Log message:
> > Replace FFS directory preference algorithm(dirpref) by new one.
> > It allocates directory inode in the same cylinder group as a parent
> > directory in. This speedup file/directory intensive operations on
> > a big file systems in times.

The benchmarks they're showing here are huge.  4 to 8 to 11 times faster
depending on sync, async, or softdep.

I don't know about you guys, but this sounds pretty nice to me.  Any
possibility we can implement this into FreeBSD ?