Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:47:59 +0100
From:      "Olivier Dony" <odony@student.info.ucl.ac.be>
To:        "Simon Barner" <barner@in.tum.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Too many collisions on network?

On Sunday, 16 March, 2003 16:23, Simon Barner wrote:

> Are you running your network adaptor in full-duplex mode? Perhaps the device on
> the other end of the wire does only support half-duplex. Changing this increased
> the throughput from 20kb/s to almost 1mb/s on our internal network here
> (10baseT/UTP).

I'm not really sure about this, here is the output of ifconfig related
to the external interface :

root@charon:/root# ifconfig -m fxp0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet xxx.xxx.191.100 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast xxx.xxx.191.111
        inet xxx.xxx.191.101 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast xxx.xxx.191.101
        ether 00:e0:81:23:c5:32
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT/UTP)
        status: active
        supported media:
                media autoselect
                media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
                media 100baseTX
                media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
                media 10baseT/UTP
                media 100baseTX mediaopt hw-loopback

It seems that fxp(4) supports full-duplex but that it is currently
disabled, and I guess this is because the other end of the wire doesn't
support it, since the media has been autoselected? Please correct me
as I have never played a lot with ifconfig except for basic configutarion.
I wouldn't be too eager to do tests with this setting since this is a
production server and I have no direct physical access to it, so shutting
down the only interface by mistake is *not* an option ;-)
But if I was to change it, how would I go about this without shutting down
fxp0? 'ifconfig fxp0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex' ??

Thanks for your help :-)

Olivier