Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:35:53 -0500
From:      "dgason" <dgason@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   need help: installing XFree86 3.3.3.1

Hi,

    I've just finished installing 3.0-RELEASE on my system and applying the
30upgrade.tgz package. The OS seems to work well.
    However, I need to install XFree86 3.3.3.1 if I want a GUI because the
earlier versions of XFree86 won't recognize my new video card (A Number Nine
Rendition IV). I download the XFree86 port, untar it, run the "configure"
script and then attempt a "make".
    Here's the errors I get during the make:

    "/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line2: Coult not find
/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
    line 70: Malformed conditional (${PORTOBJFORMAT} = "aout")
    line 70: need an operator
    line 83: if-less endif

    This is a fresh install of 3.0-RELEASE on a brand new system. The only
thing installed are the sources and binaries of the OS, the sources and
binaries of the slightly older version of X that came with 3.0-RELEASE, plus
the 3.0 upgrade patch.

    What do I need to do to get the install of XFree86 3.3.3.1 to work?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave Ason
    dgason@mindspring.com