Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:53:10 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Chris Wasser" <cwasser@v-wave.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IRC? Anywhere?

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C0424E.D48433D0

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Chris Wasser" <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 6:26 PM
Subject: FreeBSD on IRC? Anywhere?

> Anyone know if there's a FreeBSD channel on IRC that doesn't suck? =
#FreeBSD on EFNet is lamer then #Linux normally is and
> #freebsdhelp on EFnet isn't what I'm looking for. I recently =
discovered irc.freebsd.org but no one seems to talk there, is
> there an actual irc server where one can go for actual technical =
discussions about FreeBSD and don't have to deal with egos
> the size of a linux kernel tarball?

#freebsd on EfNet is lame because it's not a help channel ?  Does =
"technical discussions" mean help ?  #freebsdhelp is for "technical =
discussions" that involve other people helping you.  #freebsd is a =
channel for freebsd people to talk about shit, only some of which is =
about freebsd, and none of which is dealing with help questions.  There =
are two channels, if you don't like one or the other or both, deal with =
it without acting like a child. =20

The FreeBSD FAQ states loud and clear:

Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD forum, but don't go there for =
tech support or to try and get folks there to help you avoid the pain of =
reading man pages or doing your own research. It is a chat channel, =
first and foremost, and topics there are just as likely to involve sex, =
sports or nuclear weapons as they are FreeBSD. You Have Been Warned! =
Available at server irc.chat.org

If you can't be bothered to read the FAQ then tough ****.
As for a FreeBSD Channel other than those two FreeBSD channels, one =
again if you would READ THE FAQ it states:

14. Are there FreeBSD IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channels?

Yes, most major IRC networks host a FreeBSD chat channel:

  a.. Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD forum, but don't go there =
for tech support or to try and get folks there to help you avoid the =
pain of reading man pages or doing your own research. It is a chat =
channel, first and foremost, and topics there are just as likely to =
involve sex, sports or nuclear weapons as they are FreeBSD. You Have =
Been Warned! Available at server irc.chat.org.

  b.. Channel #FreeBSDhelp on EFNet is a channel dedicated to helping =
FreeBSD users. They are much more sympathetic to questions then #FreeBSD =
is.

  c.. Channel #FreeBSD on DALNET is available at irc.dal.net in the US =
and irc.eu.dal.net in Europe.

  d.. Channel #FreeBSD on UNDERNET is available at us.undernet.org in =
the US and eu.undernet.org in Europe. Since it is a help channel, be =
prepared to read the documents you are referred to.

  e.. Channel #FreeBSD on HybNet is available at irc.FreeBSD.org. This =
channel is a help channel.

Each of these channels are distinct and are not connected to each other. =
Their chat styles also differ, so you may need to try each to find one =
suited to your chat style. As with *all* types of IRC traffic, if you're =
easily offended or can't deal with lots of young people (and more than a =
few older ones) doing the verbal equivalent of jello wrestling, don't =
even bother with it.

I just get sick and tired of this attitude like you have a right to have =
people help you and a right to tell other people how to run their =
channel.  If you don't like #freebsd on EFNet and you're not willing to =
read the damn FAQ, then start your own EFNet FreeBSD channel and run it =
as you see fit.

Data/BasharTeg  from EFNet #L

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C0424E.D48433D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>----- Original Message ----- </FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>From: "Chris Wasser" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:cwasser@v-wave.com"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>cwasser@v-wave.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To: &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 6:26 =
PM</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Subject: FreeBSD on IRC?=20
Anywhere?</FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><BR><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; Anyone know if there's a FreeBSD =
channel on=20
IRC that doesn't suck? #FreeBSD on EFNet is lamer then #Linux normally =
is=20
and<BR>&gt; #freebsdhelp on EFnet isn't what I'm looking for. I recently =

discovered irc.freebsd.org but no one seems to talk there, is<BR>&gt; =
there an=20
actual irc server where one can go for actual technical discussions =
about=20
FreeBSD and don't have to deal with egos<BR>&gt; the size of a linux =
kernel=20
tarball?<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>#freebsd on EfNet is lame because it's =
not a help=20
channel ?&nbsp; Does "technical discussions" mean help ?&nbsp; =
#freebsdhelp is=20
for "technical discussions" that involve other people helping you.&nbsp; =

#freebsd is a channel for freebsd people to talk about shit, only some =
of which=20
is about freebsd, and none of which is dealing with help =
questions.&nbsp; There=20
are two channels, if you don't like one or the other or both, deal with =
it=20
without acting like a child.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The FreeBSD FAQ states loud and =
clear:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD =
forum, but=20
don't go there for tech support or to try and get folks there to help =
you avoid=20
the pain of reading man pages or doing your own research. It is a chat =
channel,=20
first and foremost, and topics there are just as likely to involve sex, =
sports=20
or nuclear weapons as they are FreeBSD. You Have Been Warned! Available =
at=20
server irc.chat.org</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you can't be bothered to read the =
FAQ then tough=20
****.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As for a FreeBSD Channel other than =
those two=20
FreeBSD channels, one again if you would READ THE FAQ it =
states:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV class=3DQANDAENTRY>
<DIV class=3DQUESTION>
<P><A name=3DIRC></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>14. Are there FreeBSD =
IRC (Internet=20
Relay Chat) channels?</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV class=3DANSWER>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yes, most major IRC networks host a =
FreeBSD chat=20
channel:</FONT></P>
<UL>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Channel #FreeBSD on EFNet is a FreeBSD =
forum, but=20
  don't go there for tech support or to try and get folks there to help =
you=20
  avoid the pain of reading man pages or doing your own research. It is =
a chat=20
  channel, first and foremost, and topics there are just as likely to =
involve=20
  sex, sports or nuclear weapons as they are FreeBSD. You Have Been =
Warned!=20
  Available at server irc.chat.org.</FONT></P>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Channel #FreeBSDhelp on EFNet is a =
channel=20
  dedicated to helping FreeBSD users. They are much more sympathetic to=20
  questions then #FreeBSD is.</FONT></P>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Channel #FreeBSD on DALNET is available =
at=20
  irc.dal.net in the US and irc.eu.dal.net in Europe.</FONT></P>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Channel #FreeBSD on UNDERNET is =
available at=20
  us.undernet.org in the US and eu.undernet.org in Europe. Since it is a =
help=20
  channel, be prepared to read the documents you are referred =
to.</FONT></P>
  <LI>
  <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Channel #FreeBSD on </FONT><A =
target=3D_top=20
  href=3D"http://www.hybnet.net/"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>HybNet</FONT></A><FONT=20
  face=3DArial size=3D2> is available at irc.FreeBSD.org. This channel =
is a help=20
  channel.</FONT></P></LI></UL>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Each of these channels are distinct and =
are not=20
connected to each other. Their chat styles also differ, so you may need =
to try=20
each to find one suited to your chat style. As with *all* types of IRC =
traffic,=20
if you're easily offended or can't deal with lots of young people (and =
more than=20
a few older ones) doing the verbal equivalent of jello wrestling, don't =
even=20
bother with it.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just get sick and tired of this =
attitude like you=20
have a right to have people help you and a right to tell other people =
how to run=20
their channel.&nbsp; If you don't like #freebsd on EFNet and you're not =
willing=20
to read the damn FAQ, then start your own EFNet FreeBSD channel and run =
it as=20
you see fit.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Data/BasharTeg&nbsp; from EFNet =
#L</FONT></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C0424E.D48433D0--