Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:20:45 +0100
From:      "Thomas Coppens" <thomas.coppens@advalvas.be>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <ravi@cow.org>
Subject:   RE: Installing FreeBSD on a RAID0 array with onboard RAID

> > Well, the Promise chips are supposed to work... I took this from the
> > FreeBSD website:
> >
> > <PASTE>
> > 3.1 Disk Controllers IDE/ATA controllers ( ata(4) driver)
> > - Promise ATA100 OEM chip (pdc20265)
> > - Promise Fasttrak-33, -66, -100
> > - Promise Ultra-33, -66, -100
> > </PASTE>
> >
> > FreeBSD does find the array, it just gives a timeout...
>
> i got this same card and wanted to do a 0+1 config.
> my biggest problem was to get the array to be stable.
> secondary to that was my ide cable had to be custom
> made (>18") and i was getting errors from that. after
> many emails back and forth with the promise driver
> author, i ended up buying 3ware's raid card on his
> reccomendation.
>
> this card does true raid and has 4 (or 8) channels. it
> also handles hot-swap with grace.
>
> it was 2.5x more expensive, but the saying "you get
> what you pay for" holds true here.
>
> also, while the cards are supported, i believe that
> support is just for a jbod configuration, not raid.

Alright, I understand the RAID feature of the Promise chip isn't very
well supported by FreeBSD. However, one thing I don't understand... some
people say the card is unreliable, but I have it running perfectly on a
Windows platform? Do you mean it's unreliable in general or when used
with BSD?

Thomas