Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:07:25 -0400
From:      "Mike Barton" <mike@dad.state.vt.us>
To:        <mwm@mired.org>, "Pete French" <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disklabel 101?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete French" <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To: <mike@dad.state.vt.us>; <mwm@mired.org>
Cc: <stable@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 6:22 AM

> > Mike Barton <mike@dad.state.vt.us> types:
> > > Are there any issues with placing swap first on the hard drive? Unless
you
> > > insist on filling the drive, it seems to me that this swap arrangement
would
> > > result in less stack travel.
> >
> > Not that I know of. In fact, I'm pretty sure that one of my systems
> > has root on s2, with swap on s1, which is earlier on the hard disk.
>
> It doesnt work on the same disc however. Try and do an install of 4.2
> creating a swap partition, then a root partition and it fails. Or always
> has in my expereince anyway. Its a bit of a nasty gotcha actually because
it
> is not obvious what the problem is. I can see that it probably makes sense
> have root frst then sawp (and they become a and b) so I dont do it that
way
> anymore, but its still worth knowing about.

I've got a setup like that working now. I think the problem is that that you
can't have the root partition past the 1024 logical cylinder due to BIOS
issues - I surely would've liked to have been in on wrting that piece of
code! Mind you, this machine hasn't swapped yet, which raises an OT
question: what's the easiest way to get the machine to swap *hard*? Keep in
mind that I'm still a bit leery of 'make world' ;)