Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:03:28 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey S. Sharp" <jss@subatomix.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Arrow keys in terminal emulator

I hope this isn't too terribly off-topic...

A FreeBSD embedded application I'm working on needs to allow login over
a serial line for field testing purposes.  The field testers will most
likely be using Windows laptops with its Hyperterminal emulation
program.  For maximum compatibility, I'm using the vt100 terminal type.

Everything is working fine -- except for the arrow keys.  I've tried
every permutation of Hyperterminal settings, but FreeBSD programs aren't
getting the correct escape sequences when I press arrow keys in the
terminal emulator.  Emacs, for instance, just displays "ESC-" and waits
for more input.  At least one of these three things must be hapenning:

(1) Hyperterminal isn't transmitting the right sequences for arrow keys,
and I need to find another terminal emulator;

(2) Some setting is wrong on the FreeBSD end, and the sequences aren't
being interpreted properly; or

(3) You just can't use the arrow keys from within a terminal emulator.

If anyone could suggest how I can get some function out of the arrow
keys, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey S. Sharp   (XorAxAx)
jss@subatomix.com