Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 2003 11:47:42 -0600
From:      Michael Ferguson <mcf@augustmail.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org, anderson@cs.duke.edu, jmcneill@invisible.yi.org, kluckie@ihug.co.nz
Subject:   Sound playback problem with Maestro3.c (?)

Hi all,

	I'm experiencing a small issue with the sound output on the
Maestro3 in my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. Every few seconds, the sound
is briefly "interrupted", and the last few ms of audio are looped for
about a quarter of a second. I've noticed that this can happen
independently on either channel; often it will pause/loop on the left
channel, then shortly thereafter on the right, or visa versa. Other
times it will pause/loop on both channels at the same time.

	I've also noticed this condition can be exaggerated by moving
the mouse while moused is running; the sound pause/loops much more
frequently (although not for as long), and the music becomes noticeably
slower. This happens both when moving the built-in PS/2 touchpad mouse
and on a USB mouse, if I plug one in. My only ignorant guess would be
that this is some kind of interrupt polling issue, but since I am new to
BSD and I have no clue about the driver architecture or PCM, I can only
venture a guess. :/

	I was experiencing this in the 4.7-release kernel also (this bug
is actually why I upgraded to -current :P). Some other users appear to
be having the same problems (even when porting the driver to NetBSD?).
Here are some links:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&threadm=a6u7p
2%24vlc%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DFreeBSD
%2BMaestro3%2Bpopping%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF8%26selm%
3Da6u7p2%2524vlc%25241%2540FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw%26rnum%3D1

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2001/08/23/0004.html

	I tried compiling without PNP and APM in the 4.7-release kernel,
but I still saw the same issues, so I don't think they're entirely tied
to that (especially since I'm running ACPI now in -current, without any
apmd). My laptop is running the latest bios (A21), and the sound card
has ID card=0x00a41028 chip-0x1998125d rev=0x10; my dmesg and pciconf
output are also at ftp://129.110.23.84/.

	On a probably-unrelated side note, when I was running Linux on
the same laptop (ducks), I had issues with the OS clock getting quickly
out of sync with the HW clock; typically I would loose five minutes or
more every hour. Although I haven't experienced the same thing with
FreeBSD, I wonder if there is just something odd about interrupt
handling or timing on the Inspiron 8000 line?

Best regards,

-- mcf