Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 02:46:36 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Laurence Berland" <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        "lists" <lists@vivdev.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD & GNU

That may be but Apple only specifically listed FreeBSD 3.2 and NeXT.  NetBSD
was not mentioned.  I believe this is on the Darwin site (which is down
right
now so I can't verify it)

>> source code.  It was turned into a juggernaut because the PC community
>> decided
>> for a number of reasons (cost, marketing, features, etc.) to
>standardize on
>> it.
>>

>Part of this, of course, has to do with Gates's ruthless (and
>unethical/illegal) business practices.

I agree his tactics are illegal, but it takes two to tango.  The consumers
did make a choice to use Windows.

Many other people do illegal and ruthless marketing, and even after years of
it they are still getting nowhere.  What really separates Microsoft from
most
companies is that they _didn't_have_ to do all the illegal and ruthless
marketing
yet still did it anyway.  All of the illegal marketing has probably only
taken
them from 80% market penetration to 90% market penetration, and it has
generated
a huge list of enemies.  In fact, of all the problems of Microsoft, this one
thing is their achillies heel.  If they had just done what they did and not
done any of the illegal marketing tactics, but instead made friends, then
all
hope would be lost, they would have a monopoly, and nobody would support
dislodging them.

>Standardization isn't always bad.  FreeBSD would tend not to stagnate I
>suspect, because the people writing it are also some of the people using
>it.  They want new features, they write new features.  Open source
>publicly developed software is much more resistive to this effect.
>
>Also note, I think it's sad that people are so shortsighted and selfish
>to not spend the ten dollars and save the salmon.

It's even worse that the utilities just don't bundle in the cost of
saving the fish to ALL consumers.  I live in Oregon and this is a serious
issue up here.  Due to the drought BPA is going to lower stream flows and
kill
this years salmon run this summer.  It's either that or rolling blackouts.
If the utilities here had been working on alternative power over the last 10
years like they should have been doing, we would have the extra generating
capacity to bring online and the BPA  wouldn't have had to do this.

If anyone ever tells you that Oregon is this ecology-friendly state, tell
them
they are full of bullshit.  That's the biggest load of crap there is.  When
it because obvious that it was either fish or risking blackouts, there
wasn't a seconds
hesitation, they killed the fish.  The rights of businesses here are
paramount.
There wasn't even a big hue and cry over it.

>At least in the server market.  I suspect desktop transitions will be
>more gradual.

No, it will be worse because many business still haven't upgraded from
Windows 95.  In fact, businesses are the ones with the tight license
control, and stand to gain the largest dollar amount by not purchasing
new licenses.  Also, businesses can purchase Microsoft Site licenses
in volume which sell the OS at a much cheaper dollar rate and have other
benefits to boot.

>Ps:  I'm sure you know, but the chapter of the book in DN is still
>incomplete.  I presume it's your publisher, and not you, who has the
>problem.

Unfortunately there's plenty of blame to go around on that one.  Yes,
the publisher shipped out a corrupted chapter file.  Nobody from DN
let me know about it, I had to find that out myself.  I e-mailed
DN about it within 4 hours of the article being posted.  I sent complete
HTML a week later.  Unfortunately, my HTML was horrible, as it came from
a HTML converter on my masters and lacked drawings.  DN was working on
fixing it up.  But, I think they have been working on it less and less.  I
now have the production masters but they are in Quark, and Quark can't
save-as-HTML, so converting it
that way is just as bad.  I'm going to attempt a print-to-EPS-read-with
-ghostview-convert-to-html kind of business next and see what I get.  Death
to Quark!

The upshot of all of it is that despite all of the work done with HTML and
XML and all of those good things with document preparation, they have all
pretty much been lost on the print publishing industry, which is still
grappling with this entire business of electronic document handling.
Even within publishers, there's not a standard for electronic docs.  The
production department likes using Quark because their printer can understand
it.  But, none of the the proofreaders they use has it, and the editorial
staff all seems to not have it either.  One of my first questions was "what
is the preferred document format" well there is no preferred document format
because they have solved that problem - they use paper, and are still
shipping
author's manuscripts around the country _on_paper_.
I originally submitted the manuscript via FTP - and this was a big
problem.  All proofreading and corrections were done _by hand_.  FedEX,
Willamette Paper, and HP Toner sales all made a lot of money off of us.
I just crossed my fingers and hoped that none of the packages got lost,
and fortunately none did.  At least, though, their production department
has gotten smart enough to include all the fonts when they ship out the
document and they use honest-to-God Adobe fonts, not that TrueType trash.