Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 18:04:58 -0400
From:      "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   setuid on directory

The manpage for chmod(1) says that if one sets the setuid bit on a
directory, files created within that directory will be owned by the owner of
the directory and not the uid of the current process.  A similar idea goes
for the setgid bit.

The setuid bit doesn't seem to do anything, and behaviour for the setgid bit
seems to be the default.

Is the manpage just out of touch with reality?  I didn't realise that the
setuid behaviour was ever available, and it started me thinking about a
problem that I have elsewhere, so wanted to find out if this is a feature or
not :-)

Evan