Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 17:30:42 -0400
From:      "Brian" <wrath@shianet.org>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (still) (was: Named Keep crashing)

RE: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)<flame>
HTML sucks
</endflame>

Hey, that's a great idea.  But how are you going to tell them about that
service?  Security via obscurity?  Yeah, that's like leaving your family
photo album open on your desk and expecting no one to look at them because
you didn't tell the people that the pictures were on your desk.

As far as I'm concerned, a machine on the _internet_ is fair game.  By being
fair, I ask that someone can look.  They can look, but by no means can they
try to breach security.  Otherwise, why the hell are you on the internet?

I have a funny feeling you use Windows, and as a 32bit Windows advocate I'm
beginning to wonder.  I have another feeling that I now know why Windows
gets a bad rap.  If you do use Windows, I suggest you go hunting through
Microsoft's pages and ntsecurity.net.

One of my friends once said that you should be sanctioned bandwidth by the
amount of intelligence you have.  In other words, stupid people sit on 56k
modems.  I take it one step further, people who can't secure their machines
shouldn't be given static IP addresses.  In other words, if you've got an
NT4 machine and still sit on Service Pack 3, you should be banned to DHCP
with no lease for the rest of your life.

-Brian