Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:19:43 +0900
From:      "R. Imura" <imura@af.airnet.ne.jp>
To:        "Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami" <asami@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <knu@idaemons.org>, <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org>, <cvs-all@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/chinese Makefile.inc ports/german  Makefile.inc         ports/japanese Makefile.inc ports/korean  Makefile.inc         ports/russian Makefile.inc ports/vietnamese  Makefile.inc

Sorry for my late reply.

>  * Do we have to move all CATEGORIES variables to Makefile.inc?
>
> We don't have to, but that was one of the things I thought about too.
> There can be a "CATEGORIES+=whatever" in all the Makefile.inc's.  That
> way we can reduce most of the CATEGORIES lines (leaving only virtual
> and extra secondary categories).  This could be even more beneficial
> when we go to multi-level categories, since it will allow us to move
> things around without having to change too much in the Makefiles
> (basically the default category will mirror the directory structure).
>
>  * I don't like it.
>
> Why not?  Is there a case where a port in category X not having X in
> the CATEGORIES line?

I think, our ports' good point is each skeltons are independent and
we can build many applications with very a few files.
Yes, if no CATEGORIES in its Makefile, we can build with no problem,
but if he really want in what category the port is, it requires a hole
tree of ports. I just worry about it. (You know, master/slave ports
are the out of this case)
About PKGNAMEPREFIX, even if I don't have Makefile.inc, I will know
PKGNAMEPREFIX from its CATEGORIES, because CATEGORIES is still in
each Makefiles.

>  * > We need to include both ${.CURDIR}/../Makefile.inc and
>  * > ${MASTERDIR}/../Makefile.inc (in the order named) for the reason I
>  * > mentioned above in 1).
>  *
>  * Ok, you mean "after" or "before" is not the issue, right? :)
>
> Um, I don't understand what you are trying to say, but the ordering
> (${.CURDIR} before ${MASTERDIR}) is actually important so we can get
> things like PKGNAMEPREFIX right.

There should be misunderstandings. :(

At first, I wondered about knu's "including ${.CURDIR}/../Makefile.inc before
${MASTERDIR}/Makefile is bad". I thought it is strange, I showed it will
not happen, and I wanted to say "you don't have to think about it".
But, knu didn't mention about ordering of Makefile.inc and Makefile again,
I knew the issue kind of this is not his problem.

I know well about first ${.CURDIR}../Makefile.inc, second ${MASTERDIR}../Makefile.inc
is very important.

- R. Imura