Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:15:29 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, "KT Sin" <ktsin@acm.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: via chipset and SMP

> > I am thinking of getting a dual coppermine board with VIA chipset.
> > Has anyone tried running FreeBSD SMP on such boards? Is the VIA's
> > SMP chipset any good?
>
> Even their non-SMP chipsets are crap.  It blew my mind that they had
> the ability to create an SMP chipset at all, let alone make one that
> might work.

My counter opinion would simply be, I have ran FreeBSD on my Tyan Tiger 133A
motherboard which uses the Via Apollo Pro 133A chipset with Dual Pentium III
450s.  They aren't the best performing boards out there, however, they are
pretty stable in my experience, both Athlon and PIII.  Add that to the fact
that they support the latest tech like AGP4X and UDMA100.  Their chipsets do
lack a little performance, but not so much as to make me wish I had another
board.  Dual Pentium IIIs are still Dual Pentium IIIs.