Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:57:24 +0200
From:      "Michael Nottebrock" <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        "James Tapping" <james@fr.clara.net>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CVSup questions.

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Tapping" <james@fr.clara.net>
To: <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 1:27 PM
Subject: CVSup questions.

> Hello
>
> I have a few problems understanging what CVSup actually does for me
> despite reading the handbook and everything else I could find :-)
>
> I am using a FreeBSD 4.2 release and I have managed to compile a
> kernel.
>
> I have used the following supfile.
>
> [...]
>
> Done: cvsup supfile
>
> This downloaded loaded loads of files, and deleted a lot more in
> /usr/ports.
>
> Leaving me with no ports. I had to do /stand/sysinstall to get them
> back.
>
> Another thing that I don't get is that, for example with proftp, the
> current version seems to be the 1.2.2, but I have the 1.2.0.
>
> [...]

It left you with no ports? That's strange, indeed, especially since
your supfile looks quite correct. But you might want to try this: You
should have quite a few example supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.
Copy over 'ports-supfile' from there, modify the *default host line to
your nearest mirror and it should work fine. At least, it did for me
yesterday. :) If your ports-collection update was succesfull, you will
also notice that in the latest ports-collection, the proftpd port is
of version 1.2.2rc1.

If you want to upgrade your whole source tree (in order to upgrade
your FreeBSD to the latest STABLE or CURRENT version), use the
stable-supfile (for the STABLE branch) or the standard-supfile (for
the (experimental) CURRENT branch) which also can be found in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup. Make sure to read /usr/src/UPDATING after
you cvsup'd everything and before starting the actual upgrade - it
contains some revision history/changes and (if you scroll down a bit)
step-by-step instructions how to upgrade.

Greetings and good luck,

Michael Nottebrock