Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:24:06 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI card recommendations

Andrew writes:

> Anthony, it wasn't connected to a Seagate drive
> by any chance, was it?

The 29160N wasn't connected to anything when I installed it.  It generated
errors before I had a chance to try to connect it to anything.  I was wary when
I saw that I had only a 32-bit PCI slot for the 64-bit card (although the
documentation says that this is supposed to work).  I think that the card is
just too fast or something, however.  When I saw that it wasn't on the supported
hardware list, I decided to do the easy thing and install a less fancy SCSI card
(since I only wanted it for external peripherals, not disks).

The machine has only one disk, and it's IDE, unfortunately.

> I somehow find that hard to believe, unless you
> tried to put this card in maybe a 486 or a
> Socket 5 Pentium...

Spurious interrupts and parity errors are typical symptoms of speed
discrepancies.  I rather doubted that a brand-new Adaptec card in a brand-new PC
would have any hardware failures.

> It's not on the hardware list (I actually had to
> confirm that, since I didn't believe it), but this
> card has been running under FreeBSD since
> version 4.2, possibly earlier.

It may work on faster configurations, or different motherboards, or something.
I couldn't get it to work, and my questions to the lists went unanswered, as I
recall, so I gave up.  I should not have bought such a fancy card in the first
place--it cost almost as much as the PC.

> I'll agree with that.  That's why I have a spare
> 40 MB/s chain for external devices on my workstation.

Unfortunately, my inexpensive PC had no SCSI capability included, so I had to
buy a card.  In fact, it had no network card, either, so I had to buy that as
well (3Com).  It did come with a modem card, which was useless to me, so I
pulled that and put the NIC in its place (both PCI).  So now I've added a
brand-new 29160 and a brand-new internal PCI modem card to my ever-growing stash
of unused hardware.