Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:42:51 +1000
From:      "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
To:        "David Scheidt" <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>, "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "Stephen McKay" <mckay@thehub.com.au>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Broadband downunder

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Scheidt" <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To: "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@ofug.org>
Cc: "Stephen McKay" <mckay@thehub.com.au>; "Haikal Saadh"
<wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>; <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 1:54 PM

> On 14 Feb 2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> :
> :Heh. Norwegian cable providers also officially insist on Windows, but
> :IRL they're happy as clams to have the customer install the network
> :adapter and drivers himself, as long as he doesn't come whining to
> :them if it doesn't work. As for ADSL, the provider from which I've
> :ordered my line (not installed yet) says you can use anything you want
> :as long as it talks TCP/IP over Ethernet. They're happy to draw the
> :line between "mine" and "yours" at the router.
> :
> Shockingly, I had the same experience ordering DSL from Verizon.  I was
> quite clear that I wasn't a Windows user, and was told that wasn't a
> problem, as long as my equipment did IP over ethernet and DHCP.  We'll
see,
> if the hardware ever shows up.

Hardware compatability should not be an issue, should it? It's just a black
box that plugs into an ethernet card? And in the case of cable modems all
DOCSIS modems are equal, right? All the sites I've come across have a fair
bit of helpful info on setting up the hardware, but not much info on the
hardware itself, and unfortunately, there is not a LINT in sight atm to grep
thru.