Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:27:18 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TheRegister article on Hotmail

Is MS still trying to port Hotmail to Windows??  Hotmail is a good example
of exactly the kind of environment that will probably _never_ benefit from
migration to Windows.  Single-purpose, high-volume applications work best
with stripped, simple operating systems that are designed to do nothing but
achieve that purpose as efficiently as possible; this is diametrically
opposed to the philosophy of a do-it-all, general-purpose, GUI-based
operating system such as Windows.  And as Microsoft itself apparently
admits, UNIX is admirably suited to this type of use, since it is simple to
begin with and can be stripped further for speed by any qualified
administrator.

MS was already looking to replace Hotmail's custom SMTP (IIRC) with
Microsoft Exchange Server years ago, but Exchange just would not scale, and
Exchange Server is ill-suited to simple, high-volume environments (although
it is ideally suited to lower-volume, complex environments such as internal
corporate mail systems).

Still, anything is possible if you can throw enough hardware at it, and if
you are willing and able to tweak software until it looks like what you
should have installed in the first place.

One reason MS is so hellbent on this, incidentally, is that the company was
constantly belittled by customers back in the days when it sold Microsoft
Mail.  See, Microsoft never actually used Microsoft Mail internally; the
company itself used the MS Mail client, true ... but it used a Xenix-based
back-end that was never sold to customers in place of the standard MS Mail
MS-DOS-based MTA.  Customers knew this and humuliated Microsoft regularly
over the fact.

When Microsoft Exchange Server was released, Microsoft vowed to move all
internal e-mail to Exchange ... and it did.  It took a while, but the
migration went well, and Microsoft Exchange Server is perfectly suited to
Microsoft's internal use (in fact, some design features were influenced by
Microsoft's own practices).  It also happens to be well suited to just about
any other corporate or organizational e-mail environment, much more so than
SMTP or similar bare-bones e-mail systems.  Microsoft's dream, though,
extended further, to using Microsoft Exchange Server (which represented a
staggering development investment for the company) for ISPs and
heterogenous, Internet-based e-mail systems.  But Exchange Server has never
really been able to handle that.  The same feature-rich design and resulting
bloat that makes the e-mail systems arguably the best anyone can buy for
internal corporate use also makes it a poor choice for high-volume,
feature-lean, heterogenous environments such as Internet Service Providers
... and Hotmail.

The fact is, one size does not fit all, and you simply cannot write an
e-mail system and OS that will be all things to all people.  Windows and
Exchange definitely have very secure places in the IT world, but they can't
do all e-mail for everyone, and Hotmail is just about as far from the ideal
case for Exchange as any e-mail system can be (even standard SMTP really was
never quite suitable for Hotmail, and had to be modified).

The attempt to convert Hotmail to Windows and Exchange is a good example of
politics and marketing overruling common sense.  I often think that nobody
is really fooled by this except Microsoft itself.