Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:17:57 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Daryl Chance" <dchance@valuedata.net>, "FreeBSD Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Moving to KLM's

> ok, what would be the minimal kernel that i can compile :),
> or is there a document somewhere that says that info?  We have
> LINT, should we make something called MIN for minimal kernel needed to
boot?

It's not really feasible to create a "minimal" kernal, since "minimal"
really depends on your hardware (the most obvious -- do you need ATA or SCSI
to boot?  which network drivers do you need?)

The easiest way to create MIN is to take GENERIC and take out absolutely
everything that you don't have or need.  I think my best effort so far is on
a little 486 gateway box for my home lan which weights in at 1.7MB.

--
Matt Emmerton