Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:01:07 -0000
From:      "Roger Hardiman" <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        "Andrew Gordon" <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <isdn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help - I need a login shell over my ISDN line

Hi

>Note however that none of this is ever "end-to-end" ISDN.  You are always
>running a GSM protocol over the wireless link, which implements a
>bytestream (or bitstream if synchronous mode), and then connects to a
>modem or TA at the MSC.

Ok.

>>From an I4B point of view, the hard part is not implementing the protocols
>themselves, but the infrastructure to support them: Rec. V.120 itself is
>only 36 pages, and the code to do HDLC over the B channel already exists
>for other other purposes in I4B.  The major stuff to write is the tty
>handling, call set-up control etc.
>
>In BISDN, there was a skeleton of this, doing all the work in the
>kernel.  However, it occurs to me that you might be able to save a lot of
>work by doing it as a daemon: you can get all the tty stuff by sitting on
>the back end of a pty, and you can probably get most of the ISDN interface
>out of the RBCH stuff that /usr/sbin/ppp has recently started using: it
>needs to do much the same work (exchanging HDLC frames over the B channel,
>dialling calls etc.).

I was thinking of opening the Raw B channels in a userland daemon
support the protocols too and had looked at Brian's PPP code.

Currently I'm not sure if we will have any time to devote to a v.110 or
v.120
implementation.
I'll know more when I see this GSM Next Generation HSCSD mobile phone next
week after TMA32

Roger