Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:00:17 -0400
From:      "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jmslivko@mindspring.com>
To:        "Igor Roshchin" <str@giganda.komkon.org>, <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, <roman@xpert.com>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/pine4 Makefile (fwd)

I totally agree with that, Igor.

My two cents is this:

If you remove a port because of it's security concerns, then your robbing
the average user the choice between what mail client to use. Also, it's not
the job of the FreeBSD development team/patch/security team to weed out all
the insecure programs, the responsibility lies mainly on the systems
administrator that are going to be dealing with the backlash of their
decisions. So, I think that the choice should be there, just let the system
administrator read up on pine's security flaws and try to work around them
if he truely wants to run it. Just because your thinking of marking it as
"dangerous", doesn't mean everyone running FreeBSD is gonna stop using it.
If they can't get it from ports, they'll just get the source and install it
themselves, regardless. So, we might as well have the patches and fixes for
what we can and leave what we, as the freebsd team can't accomplish to the
systems administrators, who are ultimately responsible for the action they
take. Personally, I run pine on my FreeBSD machines and I am very happy with
it. Especially some of the addons are extemely helpful. If you ask my
opinion, let pine stay in it's normal state and leave the security and the
managment of the machines that run it to the systems administrators, where
the responsibilities lie in the first place. Doesn't everyone agree with me
on that?

-- Jonathan M. Slivko
  Jonathan M. Slivko, President & Founder - Linux Mafia Internet Services
  Phone: (212) 663-1109               -            Pager: (917) 388-5304
(24/7)
  Webpage: http://www.linux-mafia.net    --     "ya gotta pay for
protection"