Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 03:28:41 -0000
From:      "cameron grant" <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>, "Nuno Daniel Raposo Subtil" <subtil@student.dei.uc.pt>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sound in Quake 3

> > Has anybody managed to get Quake 3 running with sound ?
> >
> No, unfortunately not. All I know is that the sound broke with the
> pcm megacommit in February 2001. As a workaround I installed FreeBSD
> 4.2-RELEASE next to my 4.4-STABLE. Quake3 derivate Wolfenstein has the
same
> problem.

first i've heard of this.

if someone would be so kind as to point me at a downloadable demo version or
send me a full copy, i'll see what i can do to fix it.

> As for other games, YMMV. Sometimes there is an annoying sound lag (Rune,
> Soldier of Fortune) which I worked around by purchasing OSS. However, some
> games appear to be silent with OSS (such as Quake3).

again, as far as i was aware all lag problems had been eradicated.  if this
is not the case, please do file a pr (make sure 'sound' is listed as
responsible if possible) with pertinent details such as where to obtain the
affected program, full verbose dmesg etc.  alternatively, send email to
sound@freebsd.org.

    -cg