Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:34:16 +0100
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        "list tracker" <list_tracker@hotmail.com>, <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: trouble with 802.11 and kernel bridging (more)

----- Original Message -----
From: "list tracker" <list_tracker@hotmail.com>
To: <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc: <hackers@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 3:27 AM

> ok, thank you!   This explains my inability to perform bridging like I
> expected to....
>
> >I've been told the "wi" driver can't do bridging.  The Cisco/Aironet
> >"an" driver can.  Patches were submitted so you can do this.  They are
> >in the tree.
>
> If I want to turn a PC into a full-blown "access point", should I set
> wicontrol to peer to peer (3) or BSS (1) ?

As Julian said an AP is very different to a standard station in either IBSS
or BSS mode.

If you want to:
    have a FreeBSD box with a card in it
    get the FreeBSD box to be a bridge/router between multiple wireless
users and wired networks
    then

    Set the card into IBSS mode
    Turn on "create BSS" (if it works)
    Either:
        Use BRIDGEing
            Take a wired n/w performance hit
        Or Use routing and set two subnets up
            Turn on ipforwarding in /etc/rc.conf
            Make's moving a node from wired to wireless a little harder.

I use IBSS and routing at home (with DHCP on a short timeout) to create
seperate wired and wireless IP subnets. The FreeBSD box routes between the
two and the external Cable Modem seamlessly.

What disadvantages does this setup have compared with using a true access
point? True APs can double the range for two
wireless stations (the hidden node problem) - if both stations can see the
AP but not each other they can still do peer to peer networking. True APs
allow roaming between APs in an extended service set. True APs can do power
saving to stations.

I contend that the above are not necessary for a typical home user. An IBSS
network with IP routing will serve many home users.