Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:29:14 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Sid Lambert" <sid@jsisign.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyrus imapd

From: "Sid Lambert" <sid@jsisign.com>
> I am trying to setup Cyrus with imap and pop3 on a new 4.5-Stable box, I
get
> this error via syslogd.
>
> Feb  8 20:39:28 mail pop3d[18497]: KERBEROS_V4: can't access srvtab file
> /etc/srvtab: No such file or directory
> Feb  8 20:39:28 mail pop3d[18497]:
> add_plugin(/usr/local/lib/sasl/libkerberos4.so) failed: generic failure

This error occurs because you don't have a srvtab file, either ignore the
error or move libkerberos4.so to a sub directory under (i.e.
/usr/local/lib/sasl/disabled), and then the SASL library will not load the
libkerberos4.so mech.

> Feb  8 20:39:29 mail pop3d[18497]: badlogin: Host[ip] plaintext user
> Incorrect password
>
> I can't auth users but I can login and use the cyradm with the cyrus user.
>
> <cyrus@mail:/usr/local/etc> imtest -v -m login -u cyrus localhost
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * OK mail.host.comCyrus IMAP4 v2.0.16 server ready
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID
> NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT MULTIAPPEND SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREA
> D=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
> S: C01 OK Completed
> Password:
> C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {5}
> + go ahead
> C: <omitted>
> L01 NO Login failed: Incorrect password
> Authentication failed. generic failure
> Security strength factor: 0
>
> I am using sasl_pwcheck_method: pwcheck in imapd.conf
>
> I have checked to make sure Kerberos is commented out of pam.conf

Check if the pwcheck dameon is running:

    ps -ax | grep pwcheck

If it is not running, then use '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/pwcheckd.sh start' to
start it.

Scot