Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:07:32 -0800
From:      "Peter/Los Angeles, CA" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
To:        "Wilko Bulte" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Cc:        <all@biosys.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

> Can one expect two 10/100 switches to "agree" on a common duplex and speed
> setting? In my experience in some cases connecting two switches will plain
> not work at all.

I am not an expert, but these are the switches that I use with some
regularity:
Cisco Catalyst 1900
Cisco Catalyst 2948
Netgear FS116

These switches speak to each other just fine.  Our office has 5 different
floors.  Resources from the LAN room in one floor is distributed via having
a single Catalyst 2948 on each floor.  Each of these 2948s are connected to
each other directly via TP.  In the LAN Room, there is a Cisco 2500 Router,
which connects us to another branch in DC.

Anyway, to answer your question, switches can be daisy chained.  I don't
remember the rewls as far as which kind of cable to use, for instance, I
believe it's a cross-over for switch to switch, and computer to switch uses
straight-thru cables or was that backwards.  I get this confused all the
time, but I just try out two different cables, and one always works, so I
never really remember which is which.

Just a word of caution to those using Netgear hubs and Cisco switches; I've
never successfully made these two devices communicate.  The collision light
on the netgear hub goes on, and never goes off when connected to the Cat.

Hope this helps.

Peter