Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:07:06 -0400
From:      "Yves Fournier" <fournier@pythian.com>
To:        <freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   cvsweb - Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right group of people for help but I =
haven't found any discussion boards (newsgroups) to get help with my =
problem.

I'm having trouble getting cvsweb to run.  Everything is set up properly =
(CVSROOT, .conf file, the path to rm, rlog, etc...)  but I keep on =
getting this error

 Error: Failed to spawn GNU rlog on "all my file names in cvs"

 Did you set the $command_path in your configuration file correctly ? =
(Currently "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin"=20

I am able to run rlog from the command line but I can't get it to run in =
the cvsweb.cgi  script.

The web server that I'm running is Apache, I'm not sure which modules =
are running, my Perl version is 5.0.8 using mod_perl 2=20

I can properly browse through the directories in my cvs repository but I =
can't see the file names themselfs.  I configured cvs to use a lock dir =
that is r/w to everyone, (I initially though that this was the problem) =
but with no luck.  If anyone could give me a little help on how to =
troubleshoot my cvsweb installation, I would greatly appreciate it.

(I'm new to installing cvs and running scripts on web server like =
cvsweb)  I have followed the directions on how to install it and do not =
know where to look to make this work.

Could my web server prevent me from running the exec command from a cgi =
script?  cvsweb does use perl -T (for taint) which should allow me to =
run system or exec commands  (to the best of my knowledge which might =
not be much...)  but is that enough?  Do I need something like =
Apache::Subprocess to run the exec command from the cgi script?  does =
mod_perl need something special to run the exec command?

If so, how would I do this and how would I check if I lack something in =
my installation to prevent me from running external programs with exec?

Thanks in advance.

Yves