Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:04:10 +0100
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Mirrorred webservers: Updating, logging.

We're thinking about mirroring our webservers for redundancy.

There exist different solutions, however, I have not seen any mentioning on how to update the sites; the customers shouldn't have to update two sites; it should work transparently.

Another thing is logging. How do I produce a statistic with eg webalyzer when two or more servers are producing their own logfile?

For updating, I think I should assign one server in the cluster the role as master, and restrict the users to only be able to update that server, be it by frontpage, ftp or whatever.

Would running rdist or something like that on several GB's of webpages be possible?

Or should a daemon watch ftp-logs, and trigger the replication on only changed virtual servers?
I'm not sure Frontpage creates a logfile which could be used.
Having the customer pressing a button on a cgi to start replicating would be forgotten too often, I think.

Regarding logging, I think we should have a separate statistic-server. Each server would generate its own logfile, and once every night transfer the logfile to the stat-server. The statserver would then merge the logfiles from all the mirrors, and feed the combined file to webalizer.
Webalizer doesn't like the time in the logfile to go backwards, so the logfiles need to be combined in time-order; they can't be processed sequentially.

Comments, please...

Leif