Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:53:07 -0600
From:      "Wu, Michael Chin-Yuan" <keichii@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org>, <cvs-all@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/l10n chapter.sgml

As the writer of the original l10n chapter.sgml
I have followed what changes have been made to this chapter.
However, I could not help but notice the l10n chapter has slowly=20
been taken over by Russian examples and Russian specific setting.
These settings are mostly specific to Russian or European languages
which would cause grief for the Asian Language users. [i.e.=20
Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese]  Originally, I had intended=20
to let RU be the example for European charsets and ZH/JP be the=20
example for Asian charsets. =20

Now that we have all the examples,the specific settings,=20
the moused changes, the sc0 configs, etc. all made purely for RU,=20
I would like to first extend my thanks to Ache,
then express my concern for the Asian users.  In rewriting=20
the L10N chapter,I had hoped that, the Asian users would gain=20
some help and direction for localizing their systems.

Before I rewrote the L10N chapter, Asian users knew that going to the=20
handbook would not help their L10N very much and had to dig up=20
other unofficial documents.  This was very frustrating. =20
Japan/China/Korea/Taiwan account for a very large FreeBSD user group =
that goes
unnoticed.

In addition, I had wrote it in the intention that we have a generalized
chapter to help all FreeBSD users to have some direction in L10N, not a=20
total encompassing chapter for specific languages.  Hence I did not =
include
specific stuff like X keyboard settings.

I will submit another patch for the chapter after this week.  Hopefully,
it won't get modified into some specific language's L10N tutorial.

- --
=B9]=A4M=B6Q=A4@=B3=CE=A1A=ABo=B7Q=B8u=A8}=B9=CF=A1C
 Strive for the very best; The outcome is not important.
- --
- ----- Original Message -----=20