Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 09:43:58 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Jesus Rodriguez <jesus.rodriguez@es.tiscali.com>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Cc:        qguillermo@arrakis.es
Subject:   Re: fbsd box hangs with avm fritz!card pci (fwd)

On Sunday 06 May 2001 19:06, Jesus Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi there: Although I was hoping this weird behaviour was circumstancial,
> I've just upgraded my
> FreeBSD box to 4.3 RC and it's happening again:
> when I configure the kernel , plug the card intoits slot and the system
> is about ten to fifteen minutes working it hangs. No message, no
> warning.Nothing at all.  The card works well untill it hangs.
> This system only hangs when I have this card pluged into in. If I put a
> US Robotics Internal
> (ISA) there is no problem. It first happened months ago when I bought
> this card to test it and I was waiting (and hoping) was just a
> release-relationated problem.
> TIA for any help or idea to resolve this.

Well, I've used the Fritz!PCI card in many a computer with 0 problems - Intel
and AMD.

This _may_ be a chipset problem. I noticed that you have a K6 in there, maybe
with a chipset from ALi ? I've never tried a Fritz!PCI card in a box with an
ALi chipset.

The reason I say that is that I recently wrote a (Linux) driver for a PCI
card which only worked correctly in boxes with Intel BX or 815E chipsets. In
boxes with AMD or ALi chipsets it did not work reliably (it tended to hang
the PCI bus).

Anyway, does the box hang so hard that you can't get into DDB and generate a
crash dump ? That's probably the only way to find out what's happening.

--
Gary Jennejohn garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org