Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:31:41 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

[-stable archive searching is currently unavailable - but I don't think this
has come up before]

Hi!

What with the recent security advisories on telnetd and also OpenSSH, I
decided to upgrade my nat/ipfw/squid box from 4.3-RELEASE to RELENG_4_3.

This all went according to plan, and I am now the proud owner of a slightly
more secure box.

My only surprise was that, a "uname -r" still reports the OS version as being
4.3-RELEASE. I guess, in a way, this still is 4.3-RELEASE since it has had no
other changes apart from a few security patches. But, to me, this violates
the idea that a -RELEASE is a snapshot of a development branch. Because, you
can cvsup with tag=RELENG_4_3_RELEASE or tag=RELENG_4_3 and get two
(slightly) different sets of sources, both of which claim to be the
definitive 4.3-RELEASE.

Further, in my case, the RELENG_4_3 world was made on a different box, and
then exported to and installed on my gateway box, which doesn't have any
sources on it. How can I tell that the box is running the patched 4.3-RELEASE
and not the 'original' 4.3-RELEASE as the sources are not available?

Might it be time to invent a new development branch name like FreeBSD
4.3-SECURITY or 4.3-PATCHED or something like that?

Comments?

Thanks!

Andrew.