Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 07:26:33 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>
To:        joel2a@yahoo.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft bashers

Normally, I wouldn't respond to such flame bait but I'd like to point out
that WIN98 crashed on me for the 10th or was it the 20th time last night
because my boy's Bird Hunter game couldn't handle DirectX 8.  After
the 2nd or third time of reinstalling the game, EXPLORER.EXE became
corrupt and I had to reinstall my system files AGAIN so that I could
successfully get to the desktop.  Then I had to go back and reinstall the
game AGAIN and install DirectX 7.0 to get it to work.  I gladly forgo the
lack of sophisticated gaming on FreeBSD as long as I don't have to
deal with problems like that.  I've installed application after application
on FreeBSD and have NEVER had a problem.  That's what I like about
FreeBSD, should an app lock up, you just kill it and restart it.  It doesn't
take the whole damn OS down with it like Windows.

I'd also like to point out that Windows wouldn't be the OS that it is without
it's borrowed (I could use another word but I'll be nice) implementation of
the BSD TCP/IP stack.  Don't believe me?  Get on any WIN95 machine,
open the WINSOCK.DLL with Notepad and feast your eyes on the header!
They also borrowed Kerberos for use in WIN2K.

I have no idea why you thought there was Windows bashing going on and
felt the need to send your troll bait to this list but I can honestly tell you
that people don't usually discuss Windows topics here because it's a
FreeBSD focused list.

I keep Windows around mostly so my kids can play their games and use
FreeBSD for more serious activities.  Windows is fine but it does everything
for you, it's expensive and it's closed.  FreeBSD forces you to actually use
your brain, is stable and best of all...it's FREE.

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001, joel2a@yahoo.com wrote:
> Well I just have to say that if there wasn't Windows we would all be back
> the days of console prompt typing and there certainly would not be as many
> people on the internet.
>
> While Unix is good and freebsd is cool to have much of the open source
> software is still very bugged.
>
> If anyone is wondering why KDE or Kthis or gnome that doesn't work right...
> what do you expect!
> It's open source and why don't you learn C and fix it yourself!
>
> Not really to bash anyone but I think Microsoft bashers really don't have a
> clue themselves and I kinda like playing Asheron's Call or Everquest on a
> windows machine!
> Try playing that on a a Unix machine!
>
> Word processing in a console and putting it through Postscript to get
> formatting! GIVE ME A BREAK! Some of you Microsoft bashers are worse than
> not having a clue! How about getting a life!
>
> Joel

Joe Warner
Daemon News
Bringing BSD Together