Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:45:20 +0000
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

On Friday 14 September 2001 14:24, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Sep 14, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> wrote:
> > "Americans have never shrunk from battle, nor have we ever given in,
> > and we will not do so now."
>
> If that isn't hollow rhetoric, I don't know what is... dear, oh dear. You
> see, this is the problem with people in power. They think they have to
> fight. If they thought to themselves 'actually, we could just try and talk
> to the people behind this' then perhaps the world would be a nicer place.
> But then, I'm only 23 so probably don't 'understand' the world. Ho-hum.

Unfortunately, no you don't.
Simple fact is, there ARE a small percentage of people that are so wacko
that you simply can NOT reason with them. I knew a fellow in West Virginia
who was racist that I tried to straighten out.  It was impossible. Over a period
of several months and countless conversations, he held his racist ground.
Facts and reality seem to elude people like this, and when you've got
someone who feels this way about killing people, you've got someone that
will organized an attack like we had Tuesday.

On a related note, I was discussing this with a friend yesterday. If any of the
information I present here is wrong, I'd appreciate corrections:
Apparently this Ladden guy was a top official in the Saudi government not
that long ago.  Unfortunately, the Saudi government had to kick him out
because Saudi Arabia (as a whole) was pursuing a more peaceful stance
with the rest of the world, and Ladden just wouldn't play along.  Now he's
a refugee training terrorists, whereas he was controlling armies not that
long ago.
If this information is correct, then the most important thing is that the US
policy toward the middle east needs to change as little as possible -
because it was WORKING! Crazed lunitics are being forced out of
governments and are resorting to terrorism to get their "fix"
On the other hand, we need to beef up our resistance to future attacks
like this, because as more and more nations become peaceful, more and
more lunitics will be forced out of government and end up training
terrorists.

Any thoughts on this theory?

-Bill