Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:33:38 +1200
From:      David Preece <davep@afterswish.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendto not sending what I asked...

Hi,

I'm trying to write a raw (SYN) packet with sendto. I've opened the socket
with socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_RAW), the result is checked and it is
unbound. A buffer and a sockaddr_in are formed then sent down the socket with
sendto(sck,pBuffer,40,0,(struct sockaddr *)&sin,sizeof(sin)) and the packet
captured using ethereal. While the packet does send, with the correct source
and destination addresses, the buffer I pass is appended as data on the end
of an IP packet with unknown protocol, rather than replacing the IP and TCP
headers (i.e. appending the ethernet header) as I had hoped.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a socket option I have missed? I've
R'dTFM till I'm blue in the face, and all the examples I can find seem to be
for Linux on big endian machines :(

Cheers,
Dave

PS. No, not a packet kiddie.