Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:16:27 -0000
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        "Paul Robinson" <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>, "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        <anderson@centtech.com>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cross platform bookmarks and address books?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Robinson" <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To: "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@ofug.org>
Cc: <anderson@centtech.com>; "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>;
<freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 11:00 AM

> On Feb 21, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> wrote:
>
> > Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> writes:
> > > So how does one add to the list easily?  Paste the url's in to a
> > > form?  Just curious..
> >
> > Obviously.
>
> Not as obvious as it would seem, although the simplest. I've just thought
of
> several different ways you *could* do it, but at least one of them would
> require browser modification. Now that would be cool - let's suppose you
> could configure mozilla or IE so that when you click 'add bookmark' it
sends
> the URL to a pre-configured CGI/URL on a remote system that would add it
> your list auto-magically. Or you could do something with a small frame at
> the top of your browser window, and some cross-frame DHTML/javascript to
> emulate something similar. In the same bar, you could have a drop down
list
> of your bookmarks, perhaps a small text field for google searches
(emulating
> the really cool 'Google Bar'), and some other cool stuff. Now you've
started
> it. That's my Sunday morning gone that is. Git. :-)

That would be wonderful! But a lot of work.

What I have only just remembered is that I managed to hack IE to email a
link using the sendto menu.
The hard part was to get Outlook to act as a command line mailer. I seem to
rememeber that I had
to use a "Form" to do it.

The .bat file that Iinvoked from SendTo has this in it:
    @"c:\program files\microsoft office\office\outlook" /c ipm.note.bookmark
/a "%1"
I assume that ipm.note.bookmark was a form that sent the link as the subject
line to
my home.

To make this "sane" I need a little DOS SMTP client really, any suggestions?

LDAP seems to be the way to go for the address book. A play over the weekend
methinks.

Duncan