Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:09:39 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, smkelly@creighton.edu
Subject:   Re: Problem with groff (man) after updating yesterday/today

On Monday 26 November 2001 05:42, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 05:30:20PM -0500, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:
> > I just upgraded to 4.4-STABLE from 4.3-STABLE.
> >
> > But the second one is a real pain the neck:  man is broken because groff
> > is broken; I get the following the first time I ask for a man page.  (The
> > second time, the man command has helpfully cached an empty file for
> > me--I'll have to get rid of all those after I fix the first problem.):
> >
> >    Formatting page, please wait.../usr/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
> >    /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
> >    Done.
> >
> > Well, the /usr/share/groff/groff_font/devascii directory exists.  I'm not
> > very familiar with what it should have, but it looks plausible.
>
> The correct location is /usr/share/groff_font/devascii/DESC.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit.

Yes, that file exists.

Here's the directory and the DESc file itself.  I suspect that they are
correct, and it's groff itself that is somehow broken and therefore looking
in the wrong place:

> ls /usr/share/groff_font/devascii
B       BI      CW      DESC    I       L       R       S
> cat /usr/share/groff_font/devascii/DESC
res 240
hor 24
vert 40