Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:51:05 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

	Having held such positions as Senior System Administrator, Director of
Server and Network Operations and (hands on) Chief Operating Officer of an
ISP... I'm very surprised that you've never encoutered this.

	Such a policy is standard operating procedure for me, period, no matter
where I am employed.  If a supervisor is asking me to do something that I
deem as being risky (and yes, I am quite paranoid about system security), I
ask for something in writing or at least an explanation as to why they need
something like that done.  Often time, I've been able to explain to the
supervisor how to do things differently to accomplish the same task, or
through their explanation find out that they don't know what they're asking
and suggest an agreeable alternative.  Maybe it's a stereotype that a lot of
people don't see, but some of us Americans take pride in the jobs that we do
and make an effort to do them properly.

> > If a secretary does this, they need to be fired,
> > period.
>
> In some organizations (many, in fact), she might be fired for
> _not_ doing it, as
> few people understand the risk to security that doing something like this
> represents, and they would interpret her refusal as a lack of
> team spirit or
> cooperation or some such.

	I'll refrain from making a comment as it would appear to be extremely
inflammatory.

> > Wouldn't work under a "Trusted" system, you'd
> > have to bribe, torture or blackmail three people.
>
> Not outside the realm of possibility, but it is true that
> collusion between two
> or more people is _far_ less common (and much less stable) than
> dishonesty in a
> single individual.

	It's a numbers issue.  If an operation requires three doctors, and you only
have two, you're probably not going to have the outcome that you seek.

--- Andy