Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 13:30:20 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Email proxy and Web filter

Hi all.

I'm currently trying to build a freebsd gateway for my parents home network
(cable modem connection to the internet, several win9x/win2k clients
inside, freebsd to perform nat, DHCP, web content filtering and email
proxying).

I think I've got most of it nailed - NAT & DHCP shouldn't be a problem -
I've done all that before. For the web content filtering I'm going to use
squid + squidguard (opinions anyone? specifically, how well would this run
on a P133 for a few people simultaneously - probably no more than five
though - i ask as i've heard squid can be quite resource intensive, but for
so few clients would I be right in thinking that there won't be any
problems?).

The thing I'm puzzling over is the email proxy. What I want to be able to
do is have the freebsd box log in to a number of different mail servers
through POP, download the mail, and put it into various user accounts for
download by the windows clients (either through IMAP or POP).

Also, during downloading of the mail, I want to sequester (sp?) anything
with an attachment to protect against viruses. Filtering the attachments
out should be easy enough with something like procmail, once the mail is in
the system, it's just that first step of getting the mail in that I'm
puzzling over.

Now with this....it seems possible, but I've got no idea where to start.
Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

--
Mark Hughes - DVD & Film Content Manager, Technical Officer
Digital Spy Ltd