Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:09:19 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu'" <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Subject: Re: 3d IDE port. How to implement in kernel?

>> > Try the SB's I/O port as the IDE port, usually 0x220.
>>
>> Hmm ... are you sure about this?  0x220 is usually associated with
the
>> audio portion of the card.  I had trouble when the implied port (at
>> 0x3ee for 0x1e8) conflicted with an sio port.  Unfortunately, I was
>> stupid enough not to notice this conflict, and fried 3 different
sound
>> cards before straightening it out.
>
>Pretty sure, I need to check this on the next machine I work on.  The
base
>i/o for the SB is used for a lot of stuff, not just sound.  It just
>watches separate interrupts for the IDE data vs. the sound stuff.
Again,
>I'd want to check this.  All of my sound hardware doesn't have IDE
>interfaces.

I've got an AWE64 value with a built in IDE interface. This card sits in
a W95 only machine (I do run FreeBSD on another machine, honest!), and
the SB-IDE port is not currently used, but even though the sound card
sits at the ususal SB addresses (I220 I5 D1 etc), the IDE port is
reported as being at 0x1e8, IRQ 10 (via device manager). This is quite
nice, because some other 'cheap' SB clones with IDE interfaces just
stomp over the existing secondary IDE controller at 0x170, IRQ 15 (or is
it 0x1f0, irq 14?? for the secondary?).

I've never tried this, but it should be possible to connect six IDE
devices. I might try this later if I'm bored and feeling brave, just to
see if it works.

Jeff Bond

Jeffery Bond
<mailto:jeffbond@compuserve.com>