Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:23:29 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problems mounting root

Hello,

I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a partition on my PC. I have two hard
disks, one primary master, one secondary master. I have set aside a
partition on the secondary master for FreeBSD, the rest is for Win95.

The problem is when I boot, (using booteasy to select OS's), FreeBSD panics
with a 'cannot mount root' message. I can boot from a fixit floppy and mount
root manually just fine (using mount /dev/wd2s1 /mnt). I have even compiled
a new kernel with the line:

config   kernel root on wd2

in the config file. The strange thing is this, just before it panics, it
prints 'changing root device to wd1a'. Why should it say wd1a when I am
specifying wd2? Is this a bug in 2.2.2-RELEASE? I know that I am booting the
correct kernel from the console messages.

I hope somebody can shed some light here. I think FreeBSD is great, but the
install process is far from logical, at least in 2.2.2.

Help much appreciated,

Jeff.