Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:15:19 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <support@westbend.net>
To:        "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apache13-fp-modssl problem with passwords

From: "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>
> > libscrypt* only supports MD5; it's the "export" libraries, and can't
support
> > DES. libdescrypt* supports both DES and MD5, and defaults to whatever
salt
> > it gets provided (so if users already have an MD5 password, they stay
with
> > it... but generally new users get a DES one.) You can either patch
descrypt
> > to swap the default, or wait for a new crypt() series of functions which
> > will allow the choice (this is being written currently, but I can't
remember
> > the URL.)
>
> Do you suggest just changing the libcrypt.* libs to symbolically link to
the
> des libs then, or is there an easier way to change everything over in one
> swoop?  And do you know if the libs are the only thing I need to change,
or are
> there other things such as auth.conf?  I like your idea, and if the des
crypt()
> can do both so I wouldn't have to change current passwords on all my
users,
> things will be much easier.

Yes, change the symbolic links for libcrypt.* so that they point to the
libdescrypt.* libraries (instead of the libscrypt.* libraries).  The
libdescrypt library has support for both DES & MD5 passwords (libdescrypt
passes MD5 passwords to libscrypt).

This is the only change that needs to be made.

This will allow your users to login with either DES/MD5 passwords, as well
as making the passwords work in the Apache-FP server.

Note: any new/changed passwords will be encrypted with DES.

Scot