Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 09:44:09 -0500
From:      Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   CDROM almost always on

That subject line tells it all: Since installing FreeBSD on my machine, the CDROM is always on. I can read from it (did the install from it, in fact) and I've mounted it, but the light is on and I'm unable to eject to put in another one.

The light goes on and off during bootup, but once the OS kicks into gear it's locked on.

If anybody's got an idea of something I could check/fix/configure to get around this problem, I'd love to hear it. I'm gettin' tired of doing a shutdown/restart to change CDs!

Stuff from dmesg is:

wdc0: unit 1 (ATAPI): <BCD 24XM CD-ROM/VER 2.1>, removable, accel, dma, iordy
wcd0: 4125Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tray
wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked

Some hardward stuff:

It's a 24x generic ATAPI CD-ROM on the end of an IDE connector cable. It's configured as a slave; a 4 gig Western Digital hard drive is the master. It's plugged into an off-brand motherboard sporting a Cyrix 686 chip. I've got another older hard drive plugged in on the second IDE cable.

Thanks.